Thursday, November 29, 2012

Trefoil Arch Passage


There are 35 bridges and arches in Central Park - each one unique. Trefoil arch is, in a way, the most unique, as it's the only one where each entrance to the passageway is shaped differently. The west-side arch is a round Roman one, while the east-side opening is the trefoil (three-lobed) one you see here.

Trefoil Arch was designed by Calvert Vaux and
Jacob Wrey Mould, and constructed in 1862. It serves one of several paths that connect Bethesda Terrace to Conservatory Waters.

Welcome to our newest Forum member, Carl! Warren's message that you were joining prompted me to check, and I realized that I'm way behind in holding up my end of the forum. 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Very interesting architecture, thanks for posting here, Steve :)

--WT

Friday, November 30, 2012 at 7:21:00 AM PST  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

Steve,

I'm going to be in New York this weekend for three days and plan on walking through the parks. This really makes me want to explore the bridges.

**Dolph

Monday, December 3, 2012 at 9:57:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Dolph, I would love to see your take on this location. --WT

Monday, December 3, 2012 at 10:00:00 AM PST  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Dolph - have a great time in NYC this weekend!

I took this image in late afternoon when I noticed the brilliant lighting on the far side of the arch. I used AEC to take a set of 3 quick photos and combined them, so as to be able to handle both the brights and darks.

I framed up and then waited for someone to walk into the arch from either side, so as to be sihouetted. - total time was about 1/2 hour - often someone else would walk across the front of my image at just the right time for the one going through the arch. I got a few decent silhouettes, but I think this was the best one.

http://www.centralpark2000.com/ is the best site for info on various features of the Park. It's got a sorta lame web design, but the information is golden. I especially like the pdf maps, which are zoomable.

Good shooting - can't wait to see what you come back with!

Monday, December 3, 2012 at 11:40:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment