Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Philadelphia: Gravity Assist

If you wanted to find some really good photo opportunities in Philly, you couldn't do much better than the area around the Philadelphia Art Museum and the Fairmount Water Works. Here's a strolling path that connects the museum, on higher ground, to the level of the Schuylkill River.

I took this photo in February with my Canon XSi, set to record Raw files. It looked OK in color, but the design elements of the repeating shadows and the curving path are what I really wanted to emphasize, so I converted it to B&W.

I used Nik Silver Efex Pro 2, a plugin for Photoshop (also available for Lightroom) to do the B&W conversion. This plugin also includes very controlled vignetting and edge burning, which I used to emphasize the child running down the path.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger back alley said...

fabulous image!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 8:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Incredible patterns Steve!!!

Dan

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 9:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Steve, well seen, and well crafted! I really enjoy your work, and I'm glad that you remember to cross post to our blog once in a while :). I love the lovely lines, patterns, and of course, the great subject in motion. :)

Thanks,

Warren

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 10:29:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Thanks everyone!

I'm sorry I've neglected cross-posting for so long - I have a bunch of new images that I'll post here over the next few days - some from just recently and some that I got from several years ago, but didn't edit.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 11:35:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment