Friday, November 04, 2011

Super Wide





The 15mm CV 4.5 is the most difficult lens I have ever used. These images taken on a Leica M6 with Ektar 100 are my first attempts. I am working on creating a lens profile for the Leica M9 using corner fix, but have not mastered that yet. If you do not use a profile the lens produces odd color shifts on the edges.
IMO the lens when used to create depth as a backdrop for foreground subjects in the overall context of the scene seem to work best as opposed to just using the 110 degree field of view for dramatic super wide landscapes. What does everyone think about superwides in a full format frame?
Dan

4 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Dan, nice shots :).

I agree that with your opinion about how superwides should be used. I think they are fun and challenging to use. In 2006, I posted a shot that I made using my Nikon F4s and a Sigma 15-30mm zoom @ 15mm.

http://fpcf.blogspot.com/2006/01/yosemite-valley-wedding-ceremony.html

--WT

Saturday, November 5, 2011 at 8:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

Dan,

I like the two shots on the left. You did a great job to eliminate the distortion from using that lens on the edges of the shot. I always find it difficult to keep the perspective with these type of shots. I like the top left one the best because of the framing with the rocks.

**Dolph

Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 5:38:00 PM PST  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

I like these as well, especially the straight-up shot of the pagoda roof. I'm a sucker for repeating patterns and love radiating lines, so this one is a double-delight for me ;-)

Dan, do you find that the Ektar scans better than other films you've used? How is the grain?

Thanks,
SteveR

Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 8:03:00 AM PST  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Thanx Steve, I actually find Ektar to be more time consuming than using Velvia. More tweaking the color shifts in PP. Grain is minimal in either films.

Dan

Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 8:09:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment