Saturday, May 07, 2011

Sausalito Dockyards Revisited - Ektar Roll

Hi Folks,

Just when I thought that shooting film is too much of a hassle, I finally get my scanned roll of Kodak Ektar 100 back from a lab in Austin, TX. I am very pleased with the results.

A couple of firsts here, this is my first ever roll of Ektar, and the first time that I am trying this mail-order lab. The Ektar has some punch to it, for sure, but I think just the fact that it's film also gives it a different look than the usual digital stuff.

I shot this roll with my Nikon F4s and Nikkor 35mm f2.0 last January on a photo outing with Dan to Sausalito. Using the F4s was, as always, a real pleasure. Yes, it's huge and heavy, but for me it's so familiar to me that using it is second nature. The Nikkor 35mm f2.0 lens is a manual focus lens, so it has a very comfortable and well damped focus action.

Do you remember the first few that we posted last January? If not, you'll need to go back into the January 2011 archives to view them. That day, I also used my Lumix G1 and Lumix 45-200mm.

Here are some selected images from that roll. Tell me what you think of them, and also which ones are your favorites :).

#1


#2


#3


#4


#5


#6


#7


#8


#9


#10


#11


#12


#13


-- Warren

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger dan in marin said...

I remember the day well Warren. I am partial to #s 6 and 13. Did you do any PP on these, the colors seem to favor the blues, much like the Velvia, although not as much? I have gotten similar color shifts when scanning on the Epson.

As always your compositions are great.

Dan

Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 9:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Thanks Dan. I think Ektar's colors are much more natural than Velvia. I did some very minor PP, just a little bit of levels adjustment.

I'll post some comments on these after I hear from some more people.

--Warren

Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 11:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

The corrosion blue/brown tones on #6 are awesome. LOL --"stop mad cowboy disease".
I really like the mailbox shot #9, as my favourite from the series. The dof keeps the attention to the detail of the rusty mailbox but the perspective leads us out to the sunny place, maybe where the mail arrives from --there is a distinct Here and There feeling, which seems just perfect for this.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 10:04:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment