Sunday, March 20, 2011

Scenes from North Lake

Panasonic DMC-G1, Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8

After reading extensive testimonials about the quality of Konica Hexanon lenses, I decided I had to try it for myself. So I found a pair of highly regarded Hexanons, the 40mm f1.8 and the 50mm f1.7. And incidentally, the 50mm f1.7 came attached to a Konica FS-1 35mm slr film body. The FS-1 is itself a very interesting piece of equipment that I'll discuss next time. Because of the rainy weather, I only had time to use the 40mm, the 50mm and FS-1 body will have to wait their turn sometime in the future.

Konica no longer exists as a camera manufacturer, thus the Konica Hexanon AR mount equipment is no longer made. So if anyone wants to experience the superb Hexanon lenses, one would either have to find a still-working Konica AR-mount body, or one would have to adapt them to the new EVIL cameras like the Micro 4/3 cameras or Sony NEX.

Prices for used Konica gear are very reasonable. For the price I paid for my 40mm, just under $50, it's an incredible bargain for a high quality lens. If you want to read more about this lens, go to this link: A Great Web Site for Konica Gear

I was able to take some test shots at North Lake in Golden Gate Park in between the rain showers. Looking at the results, I am very pleased with the 40mm f1.8. The interesting thing about this lens is that at f1.8, the lens renders scenes with an especially dreamy and unique signature. At wide-open, the lens would be great for portraits because of the "glow", or "veiled flare", or whatever other aberrations appear at f1.8. But once stopped down to the next click on the aperture (f2.8) and smaller, the lens is amazingly sharp. Overall, I would say that this lens has a lot of "character". I really like the way it renders a scene.

I will post some more shots from this session, but for now, here are three images of about the same scene.

I would like to know which picture of the three is your favorite, and please also tell me why.

--Warren









Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

I like the second one. The front left grass balances the composition. We can see the curve of the edge between water and land better too, which seems to add more volume to the overall image. The trees become characters in this shot, it's a family portrait of the plants.

Monday, March 21, 2011 at 3:13:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

Warren,

I agree with Lea, the second picture is the best of the group. I really like the colors you get with the combinations.

**Dolph

Monday, March 21, 2011 at 7:21:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment