Saturday, November 06, 2010

Pedestrian, Fremont Ave N

So I have been thinking about the HCB project and went out today looking for decisive moments, or something of his manner. I began to realize that to be this kind of photographer, you have to be patient but think quickly. At least that's how it felt to me... I read the wikipedia link Warren sent out (thanks by the way, it was really great!) and then peeped into the galleries to soak up as much of HCB as I could, without too much depth.

I think his city photos are my favourites. The 30's in Paris... they are full of interesting perspectives and angles, and fun composition really. I have recently been becoming more interested in city photography. However, getting people in my shots is never a draw for me... And it is comical but I was thinking about it like being a spy or something!! LOL. I think reading that HCB used to tape/paint his cameras black to "mask them" or make it less noticeable so that he could capture these genuine moments really kicked that thought off. Hiding the camera... hmm.... I may not be a good spy yet, but we'll see how the month goes... I don't want to creep myself out by creeping on unknowing subjects!! (Anyone else feel this way??)

This shot was my favourite HCB style photo from today. It reminds me most of the the photo "Alberto Giacometti, rue d'Alésia" of 1961. The feeling of being behind something, masking the camera sort of.. and the street being a good portion of the setting... and it was a rainy day. This was not a celebrity or even someone whose name I know but he has a peculiar look on his face.. and I thought it was maybe a decisive moment of thought for him... one that no one else shall ever know :) We can only guess.

Please feel free to critique, comment, or converse... I wouldn't mind some tips on how to capture people on the street without feeling invasive.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Lea, thanks for kicking off the project :). This is a very nice picture. I see you put a lot of thought into it, and it shows. There is a sense of motion from the blur of the man and the car, and this makes me wonder where he is going and what's around the corner. I find it interesting that you're safely behind the window when you shot this, which would be an entirely different shooting experience if you were standing on the other side :).

Because of the barrier between you and the subject (or outside world), this makes the feel of the picture a little different from the HCB shot that you reference in the description (not necessarily better or worse, just different).

All the compositional elements are directing my attention to the man and his mysterious motives: "What's around the corner?" "Who or what did he just see?".

I think you caught just the right moment to snap the shutter, good timing.

--Warren

Monday, November 8, 2010 at 10:32:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

This is taken from a biography of HCB:

The decisive moment, as Cartier-Bresson tersely defined it, is ‘the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise organization of forms which gives that event its proper expression."

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 11:41:00 AM PST  
Blogger Lea said...

Thanks Warren, for the comments and considerations. I really appreciate it :) I was in hiding, due to my own fear.. lol.. I tried later to catch some chess playing in an open area but was unsuccessful. Must keep trying.. hm. =P I agree, and enjoy the fact that you pointed out the contrast of being behind a window vs being behind a tree. It is different. Nice observation. How pleasant to discuss this topic with you here..

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 7:22:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

I know you other folks are looking. Any comments or discussion from the peanut gallery? :)

--WT

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 9:04:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Street shooting is Joe's preferred activity, so maybe he can share some of his techniques. Joe?

And Martin was a professional photojournalist, so maybe he'll come out of his hibernation and offer some hints.

SteveR shot with Leicas and did street shooting in the early days of his photography life, so I'm sure he has some words of wisdom to offer too.

IMO, there is no single technique that is "best" for shooting street. It all depends on the particular situation. Also, your camera does not have to be hidden. In any case, you need to be observant and ready to shoot in an instant, when the opportunity presents itself. So I think you are right about having patience and thinking quickly.

It's a different world out there than when HCB was out prowling the streets, so please be careful wherever you are :).

--WT

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 10:49:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

I just noticed that a similar project theme was done before, in July 2006: "Decisive Moment". Unfortunately for that month, I was the only one who participated :(.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 4:03:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment