Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Portrait of the Photographer as a Young Man

When I was in college, I worked summers and holidays at Stansbury Photo in Reisterstown Plaza. The owners, Mr. & Mrs. Ehrenzweig, treated us boys as family. It was a pleasure to work there, and I learned a lot.

This photo is probably from summer 1970. The cheapest SLR we sold back then was the Praktica Nova 1B from East Germany. I noticed when I held it up to my ear and fired the shutter, it would go sproooiiiinnnggg instead of a more solid thunk like the Pentaxes, Canons, and Nikons. We loved making fun of the Pratica, and I had one of my comrades snap this photo of me being a wise-guy.

Ironically, many years later when I got back into photography, I bought and used several later-vintage Prakticas. The later models, from the 1980's, particularly the MTL models, were about equal to a middling 1967 Japanese SLR, which is to say, perfectly good.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Cool picture! I think it would be fun to work in a camera store.

I've never handled a Praktica before, but my current Pentax Program-A kind of goes "sproooiiinnnggg" too :). Actually my Pentax kinds of goes: Sproing/Cllaacckkkk, and then when the film advance is operated, there is much gnashing of gears too.

--WT

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 8:21:00 AM PST  
Blogger Eric said...

Steve, where were you when this photo was taken last year? NY? Baltimore??

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 6:59:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment