Saturday, February 20, 2010

Baltimore City Hall

I got to take some "landmark" photos after all. Having a pocketable camera sure helps.

I went to a karaoke meetup late afternoon yesterday. The bar is just 1/2-block from the back side of City Hall, and the dramatic lighting of the dome prompted me to get a shot for our forum.

At ISO 800, the resolution and lack of noise is remarkable. The exposure was f/4.5 @ 1/25 sec with a focal length equivalent to 60mm. The lack of motion blur testifies to the effectiveness of the modern digicam image stabilization.

This is image was taken as a jpg, but I decided to open it in Camera Raw to see if it needed tweaking of exposure, color balance, etc. I just gave it a smidge more exposure (interstingly, left to its own devices, the camera did not blow out the highlights on the dome) and left everything else the same. In Photoshop CS3, I only used the Distort filter to correct the vertical perspective. Then a little cropping.

The only sharpening I did was after I did a Save for Web, in order to counteract the inherent softening in the resizing process.

To so some more pixel-peeping, click on this image to see a screen capture of a portion of the photo viewed at 100% in PS C3.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Nice images, Steve. I really like the one of the dome in the top right. Very dramatic.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 3:25:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lea said...

Oh cool, I would not have noticed a neon green clock without that closeup!! I like the other shot too, great lighting effects.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 8:17:00 PM PST  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Steve, I am with Lea, the lighting of the second shot is excellent. The s90 is really fun.

Dan

Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 8:31:00 AM PST  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

Steve,

Nice little camera. The guy behind the lens seems to be able to compose the pictures. Like Dan and Lea, I like the second shot. The details and the little green clock makes for a nice picture.

**Dolph

Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 3:04:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Steve, your killing me! I'm going to have to run out and buy me a S90 pretty soon, if you keep posting these great pictures.

--WT

p.s. Just kidding, don't stop, I love seeing what you can do with that little camera :)

Monday, February 22, 2010 at 9:18:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

I think both images are the same shot. The 2nd image is just a cropped portion of the original so show the image quality, right Steve?

The lighting on the dome is very dramatic, and the exposure in the final, original image is perfect.

--WT

Monday, February 22, 2010 at 11:11:00 AM PST  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Warren's right - the 2nd image is just a screen capture of a portion of the 1st photo, viewed at 100% in Photohop. That's what I meant by "pixel peeping" ;-)

Monday, February 22, 2010 at 8:59:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment