Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Backlit Backyard Leaves

Last Thursday after work, I went out of my way to go shooting in a fancy-schmantzy neighborhood of Baltimore. When I came home and got out of my car, I happened to notice some beautiful backlighting on some on these hostas at the side of our house.

After all was said and done, this was the only good photo of the day. I wouldn't say at all that the special trip to that fancy neighborhood was a waste, but it's funny how I found the best image right in my backyard.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Nice composition and lighting, Steve, good catch! I like the limited colors (black and green) here that emphasizes the light and different shades). That's a monster zoom range on the Tamron. Does it have image stabilization?

--WT

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 at 9:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

ah i *heart* the backlighting too! cropping to the upper left 3 leaves would be a spectacularly captivating image, imo :)

Thursday, July 16, 2009 at 3:13:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Thanks Warren & Lea,

Lea - I quickly tried the crop this morning - it *is* good, thanks for the idea. I need to to a very little bit of photoshoping to take care of a small blob of adjacent leaf before I post it ;-)

Warren - it *does* have image stabilization, which is very effective. I'm planning to do a writeup on this lens Real Soon Now... if I do get to it ;-) I'll post it here as well as on 2ndExposure.

Best regards,
SteveR

Thursday, July 16, 2009 at 5:38:00 AM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Nicely done Steve, that is the irony of photography, beauty is all around us and we often just need to capture it without elaborate trips etc. Once it is cropped it should be spectacular with the primary colors of black and green.

Dan

Thursday, July 16, 2009 at 7:18:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

my .02: I like the composition as it is. :)

I'm sure a tighter crop would also yield a nice composition, but it would be a different feeling.

--WT

Thursday, July 16, 2009 at 8:23:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment