Friday, June 27, 2008

Oat Rentals

Trident Electric Boat Rentals - Baltimore Inner HarborThe thing that first attracted me to this scene was the neon sign, slightly crooked, within the black and white frame of the window. But then the attendent, who had been out of my view on the other end of the dock, walked into my viewfinder, his shift almost over, and made a phone call. I thought his dark skin and white clothing complemented the non-color scheme of the rental shed in the background.

I held down the shutter button to shoot a lot of pictures with him sitting right there, but in this one, his body English and facial expression was the best of the lot.

Back at home on the computer, I noticed that the red life vests could make a nice design element, a triangle right into the left lower edge of the frame.

But only if I cropped the image to "OAT RENTALS."


The Power Of Critique

Warren made a suggestion to crop out the "OAT RENTALS" at the top of the photo. I was just a bit skeptical - I had rather liked the bold, white-on-black lettering, but tried it.

Well, now I'm with Warren - the composition looks cleaner and more balanced to me now.

What do you think?

Thanks, Warren!

By the way, Dolph's comment about this having an "islands" flavor made sense - but in fact, this place is right on the waterfront of Baltimore's Inner Harbor. I'm gonna make a nice print and leave it for "Island Man," or hopefully, give it directly to him. Hope he likes it.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

i like the red life vest "element". it does add to the composition. However, even though the photo is titled: Oat Rentals, just my opinion, but the large letters on top take too much attention from the rest of the photo. I would either crop out half of the letters, or the entire sign from the photo. I like how the red vests balance and complement the neon sign. The expression and posture of the figure is really nice for a candid shot.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 at 8:32:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

Looks like a picture from one of the the island man. You seem to have captured the attitude of the islands. Nice Pic and good use of contrasting.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 at 7:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Steve, thank for posting the 2nd version. I like it a lot! Let us know how the "Island Man" likes his picture.

--WT

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 at 2:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

When I read about this art form, they always come back to "keep it simple." I like the second composition better. The original was attempting to tell two stories. This has one, and gives me the feeling of being at the docks ready to go fishing.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 at 8:05:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment