Friday, November 10, 2006

The Columbarium







I started the day shooting at the Legion of Honor next to my house. After a few pics there, I began taking landscapes of the Golden Gate Bridge. While walking around, I came across something that totally changed my mood, so I ended up making my way to the Columbarium.

For people unfamiliar with the place, it is cremains repository. There were quite a few sad stories there, especially the half filled nooks where someone eternally awaits a spouse that will never come. However, the general mood was upbeat. Many nooks were dioramas celebrating the lives of people who live or lived.

Once upon a time a dentist fell in love with a ballerina. Together they picked their place in the sun.

Post script. Once a year there's a cocktail party here. It's so people can get to know their future neighbors. Hey, this is San Francisco after all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

The last picture along with your description was poignant and moving.

I've never had the opportunity to go inside the Columbarium. Thanks for posting these photos.

--WT

Friday, November 10, 2006 at 4:59:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment