Sunday, November 14, 2010

Island of Calm in a Sea of Chaos

Our 2-day NYC photo safari this weekend was a hit! I designed this photo tour for Washington Photo Safari and also served as the guide and instructor.

The last stop on our Midtown segment Saturday was Grand Central Terminal. I took the gang up to a balcony, where I knew they'd see an overall view of the main concourse. I suggested that besides some straight photos, they try some longer exposure times to catch the movement of so many people.

I didn't bring my normal photo rig, but I had my tiny Canon S90 in my pocket as usual, and I thought I'd try some of my own medicine. Noticing that one fellow was standing almost stock-still (just right of center in the lower third of the frame,) I concentrated on him as most everyone swirled around him.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Wow! Very cool 'ghostly' effects.

--WT

Monday, November 15, 2010 at 9:13:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, this is amazing! I really like this. I especially like how the guy in the center foreground with the dark jacket is in such focus - like he was standing very still. How long was this exposure in particular? Did you take this in b&w setting or do you have this in color as well?

Monday, November 15, 2010 at 11:34:00 AM PST  
Blogger back alley said...

very nice shot!

Monday, November 15, 2010 at 3:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lea said...

Excellent observation. A few others standing still but that one in the front is perfect since he's surrounded by so many blurry folks. Clarity.

Monday, November 15, 2010 at 5:07:00 PM PST  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Thanks, all!

Laurie, sorry for delay in getting back to you. I shot at 1 sec. The other information is: f/4.5 at ISO 80 and zoomed very slightly from maximum wide angel, 35mm equivalent of 30mm.

I steadied the camera by pressing it downward against the top rail of the balustrade surrounding the balcony (all made of marble!... as is most of the main concourse at Grand Central - it's *really* grand!)

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 1:23:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment