Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I Adopted Another Orphan, Canon SD300

- Photo taken with Canon A570is, in Macro Mode

A friend of mine was done with this camera. She had already moved on to a new Panasonic digital. So one day, I found this lonely guy handed to me in a brown paper bag along with some older vintage equipment.

I found the camera in excellent condition except for the two batteries that it came with. Both of them could no longer hold a charge. The included 128MB memory card is low capacity by today's standards. The SD300 is a 4MP camera, and the 128MB card will only hold about 60 full size, full-res pictures.

I did some research and found the best deals for batteries and SD cards on Ebay. In total, I spent less than $20 on a 1GB Sandisk SD card (holds 480 pictures), and 2 generic Lithium Ion batteries. Not that I'm complaining, but why is this stuff so cheap???

Ever since the original Digital ELPH came out in 2000, I've always been impressed by this series of cameras. Canon pioneered the ultra-compact form factor, and now there are so many choices out there from different companies. The SD300 was introduced in Sept. 2004, and I believe it was the 10th release in the lineup. It has a 2" LCD screen, 35-105mm optical zoom (35mm equivalent), and an optical viewfinder.

I'm going to have fun taking this little jewel of a camera everywhere, and I have a feeling that Gail might end up using it more because it's so easy to slip it into a purse or pocket. But before she gets around to it, I'll be doing some shooting with it first :).

--Warren

p.s. Lea, do you still use your SD400?





--Warren

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Hey Warren,

You'll love this camera! I inherited my daughter's old SD400 when she got a better digicam. I took it everywhere, and it works great.

Just one thing to note: I carried the camera around in my pocket, along with keys, change, etc. After a few weeks, I noticed that I had caused the anti-reflection coating on the LCD screen to mostly erode away. This resulted in not being able to view the screen very well except almost head-on.

So if you carry it around in a pants pocket, either protect the screen in some way or don't carry anything else in that pocket.

Do that, and you'll enjoy this camera for years!

Have fun!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 11:11:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

i ehm.. busted my SD400... biking accident :\ Luckily, I survived... :D I have had an SD750 for the past 2 years I think it's been. ooo, i guess my bio is still outta date then. I'll send you an email with the edit.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 4:52:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment