Wednesday, August 12, 2009

St. Michael Redux

Warren was wondering what the whole church looks like, so I went out in 98F, 90% humidity today and shot this one.

Just kidding, Warren ;-) I thought it might be nice to have a "reference" photo, so I took this one last Sunday along with the others.

While I was in Photoshop, I realized that there was a slight "leaning back" to the building, so I went into the Filter|Distort menu - I hadn't used it before (Photoshop Elements has you do this sort of thing through Image|Transformation menu, with more limited options.) I fixed the lean and noticed that there was a Vignetting setting. I think it's there primarily to fix vignetting that most lenses exhibit at wider apertures. Just for the heck of it, I added vignetting to darken around the church and make it stand out. I think I overdid it, but I like the effect.

2 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

That's a spectacular church :), and all the verticals line up! good job on the image correction.

It's not the case here, but since you brought up the subject, one of my pet peeves is some folks overusing the vignetting effect on purpose. I see many photographers doing this on the Internet.

--WT

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 11:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Eric said...

Great shot, Steve. It looks like someone drew it.

Monday, August 17, 2009 at 7:04:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment