Friday, January 09, 2009

Grandparents in the 1920s

My sister was clearing out some old photos in my parents' place and found this. It's a photo of my maternal grandparents in the early 1920's probably not long after they moved to Boston, MA. I believe it was taken in the U.S due to the type of dress and due to the size of my grandmother. China was a poor nation at that time, and there weren't many people in China that well nourished. She also came from a poor family. The original photo was in sepia tones but rather faded, so I spruced it up a little in Adobe Photoshop. I created a b&w version, too. I'll probably take both to a professional photo processing shop here in SF and find out the best way to print and preserve it.

-- Eric

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

These old photos are such interesting and important links to family history and history in general. thanks for posting it.

--WT

Sunday, January 11, 2009 at 7:24:00 AM PST  
Blogger Lea said...

Stepping back into history with images and a write up like that is pretty neat! Our ideas of "a long time" sometimes means an hour, or a week... maybe even a year, depending on what we're talking about. But this photograph was taken a real LOOONG time ago. And I think it's so great that their grandchildren still keep it safe today almost a century later. Their picture will last so much longer than a lifetime (especially now with your digital version)! Cool post.

Friday, January 16, 2009 at 11:48:00 AM PST  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

This is great - thanks for sharing it with us, Eric!

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 8:57:00 PM PST  
Blogger Eric said...

Lea, Steve, and Warren, thx for your comments on this photo of my grandparents. I see photos like this of different people and think, "Wow, they were once our age," and also think about how much more they had to deal with than we do now. Amazing stuff. Makes history very real and not just a dry course in high school or college.

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 9:47:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment