Monday, August 25, 2008

Gail at a North Beach Coffee Shop


Canon A570IS (!!!), 1/25 f4, ISO 200

Hi Folks, are you paying attention? I bought a Canon!!! It's my first Canon camera. This is historic!

Here's what prompted this. I was actually looking for a digicam with excellent video capability. As you recall, I borrowed Eric's old DSC-H1 mega-zoom for a weekend to see if that would fit the bill.

That camera did have great video, and the 10x zoom was certainly useful and handy, but I decided that the camera was on the bulky side and somewhat oddly shaped, and some of the controls were not very intuitive. As you saw, it was capable of great pictures, but I decided to search for a smaller camera with some other features that I was interested in.

So after reviewing tons of cameras, I decided to get this one because it had the best combination of price, features, and form factor for my current needs.

A quick review of the pertinent features:

- 7MP, optical viewfinder, 2.5" LCD, full manual mode, Image Stabilization, 4x zoom (35mm - 140mm equivalent), Powered by 2 AA sized batteries, 640x480 30fps video, face recognition AF, compact form factor (jacket pocket sized) and a few other things that I probably forgot to mention.

- I bought a 4gb SDHC card for it that is good for over 1250 pictures or 38 minutes of max quality video.

As for this picture of Gail, I am very happy with the camera's IS performance. This shot was recorded at 1/25, f4 at ISO 200, with available window light. Even though I can see compression artifacts and other pixel-level irregularities at full magnification after my post-processing, I am still very pleased with the resulting image.

--Warren

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! Welcome to the Dark Side! ;-)

Seriously, I think the Canon Digicams are amazing for such small, carry-everywhere things.

This picture of Gail is really beautiful!

Also, now you can try out the Photo-Stitch software. I don't see why it wouldn't work on images from your Nikon DSLR - worth a try anyway.

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 3:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Thanks Steve.

Ever since the digicam era exploded, I've been hoping for an interesting P&S from Nikon, but none have been good enough to make me want to try one.

I was hoping that one of you guys who already has a Canon can make me a copy of the software CD because even though my camera was advertised as coming with all the in-the-box stuff, it was missing the software CD. Maybe you or Benson can do this for me?

My A570IS also has the "stich assist" feature, so maybe I'll give it a try one of these days.

--Warren

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 4:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

BTW Steve, I'm also doing a "SteveR" by having my A570IS with me every day in my briefcase. Of course, it doesn't mean that I use it every day, but it's there with me in case I feel like taking it out sometime.

--WT

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 8:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

"BTW Steve, I'm also doing a "SteveR"...."

:-) :-) - I'm truly flattered that someone would use the expression "doing a SteveR" for something other than belching :-) :-)

Yeah, looks like you've put it to good use already - I like the photo of City Hall!

One problem with my Canon A620 is that when you go beyond ISO 100 (or even ISO 50 for some scenes) the noise can get noticeable... and lighting conditions often make ISO 50 impractical. But with the IS built into your A507IS, you're able to use ISO 50 in much less light.

Note to Eric: I just posted some photos on my blog that I think you'll like!

BTW, Warren - you're right - I've started to recycle some of the better posts from my old, "frozen" blog to 2nd Exposure.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 5:58:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment