Friday, October 27, 2006

Unedited. Halloween Is Approaching.


One of the craziest things I think I've ever seen is this grasshopper skeleton sitting on an unopened queen anne's lace. When I saw it, it really blew me away and I felt pretty creeped out to be honest...

I thought it was something fit for a horror film. Good thing it was the daytime or I would've been running outta there screaming!!!

I was told that it was likely the leftover from a praying mantis' dining. I didn't even know praying mantids lived in Ontario... and coincidentally, I saw one a few days later at a baseball game climbing up the fence by our bench. Its movements were very slow. Reading up on them a little, I learned that their slowness and green camouflaging helps them hunt unsuspecting creatures such as this grasshopper and eat their heads first! I don't know how I'll react if I see one ever again...

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

YOW! Nature in action for sure! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Eric

Sunday, October 29, 2006 at 5:50:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Lea, I saw this on your picture on your blog a while back. It still gives me the creeps when I see it now, just in time for Halloween. :)

--WT

Monday, October 30, 2006 at 8:58:00 AM PST  
Blogger tedm said...

very interesting Lea, I think that Praying Mantis' are known for biting the heads off their mates after mating? I didn't know they always did this. very interesting and eerie!

Monday, October 30, 2006 at 9:07:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lea said...

Yeah, I had this on my blog but I thought I'd see what you guys thought of it too. Plus the whole Halloween thing... it's creepily festive :D

The other pic I have there showcases this fella's hollowed body... If you're up for another scare, it's in my August 2006 archives.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 at 3:48:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment