Friday, August 18, 2006

My Friend Greg


Nikon D100, Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI

I just received my new (old) Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI lens that I snagged off of Ebay for $105 (!). I guess I'm in my old lens-on-digital-body exploration mode.

I already own a 105mm f2.5, but it's a non-ai lens meaning I cannot mount it on my D100 body. I used it many years ago, and it's a killer lens, but I missed using it for a while now since I stopped using my Nikon F2 as my main camera.

I decided to hunt for an AI version of this lens so that I can use it with my newer bodies. It will not meter with my D100, but I don't mind at all. I took it out to the Embarcadero yesterday to do some test shots before our guys' night dinner. It was a pleasure to manually focus with the wide, smooth-actioned focusing ring.

On this shot, I was sitting with Greg in Starbucks and I decided to shoot an impromptu portrait of him. The light was very dim, so I had to bump ISO up to 1600 and shoot wide open (f2.5).

I saw some shots that someone posted on the Internet using this lens on a dslr body. I was so impressed with the quality of the images that I decided then that I would get one when the right opportunity came up.

--Warren

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Warren: Nice shot of Greg.

Friday, August 18, 2006 at 12:14:00 PM PDT  
Blogger martin said...

This photo is too dark for me. Try to lighten it. You can let the highlights wash out a little.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 at 5:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

I did a lighter version before I posted this one. Personally, I preferred this version. :)

--WT

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 at 10:28:00 AM PDT  
Blogger SteveR said...

Hi Gang!

I'm alive and well - just been pretty busy and in a photo-slump to boot.

I'm with Warren on this one- the low-key lighting is very dramatic. It's an excellent portrait and very well executed, in my opinion.

Great job, Warren!

P.S. - I remember that 105mm 2.5 lens from my Nikon days (yes, in my late teens and 20's, I was a Nikon photographer. I never owned one, but occassionally got to borrow one from a friend. You've put it to wonderful use here!

Thursday, August 31, 2006 at 7:13:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment