Monday, July 17, 2006

A Trip to Japan

In November 2003, Genie and I took a 3 week trip to Japan. Here are some of the things we saw. Hope you find them interesting. -- Eric

We based ourselves out of Kyoto for the first 1.5 weeks and went on day trips. Our first trip was to Osaka, and on your right was what we saw. It was the outside of a restaurant.



One of our trips took us to Hiroshima. What you see here is the Atomic Bomb Dome. The first A-Bomb dropped blew up right over it. It was a bit unnerving to be there, and it was very sad to say the least. Unfortunately, you see a shot of a building behind it. I thought it would be worth it to post the photo anyway.





The rocks to your right are called Meotoiwa and it's off the coast of Shikoku. Supposedly, this is where Japan began. What's interesting is that supposedly, geologists have taken rock samples from this area and they've found that the rock formations here are the oldest in Japan. Believe it or not.





The photos of the men and women dancers (left and below) are from a dance troupe based out of the city of Tokushima on Shikoku. They were fantastic. Some of the best dancing I've ever seen. You know they love what they do.

6 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Great stuff, Eric!

Restaurant shot: wonderfully quirky.

Hiroshima: Would make a great photo essay subject all by itself, I'd love to see more if you've got it.

Meotoiwa: You picture prompted me to do a web search on this location, very interesting. I heard that sunrises are quite nice (sun rising between the wedded rocks). The rope needs to be replaced at regular intervals and it weighs 2 tons (I wonder what the ceremony for that looks like).

--Warren

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 9:51:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Eric, I forgot to ask you... what camera/film did you use on your Japan trip?

--WT

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 10:01:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Eric said...

At that time, I used the Yashica body with the 35mm lens. As for the dancing photos, I used the Pentax point and shoot. Film? I think I used Kodak 200 speed. Don't remember what type.

Eric

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 2:44:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Eric,

I noticed that you forgot to convert the image to the SRGB colorspace (in Photoshop). Colors will appear a little dull when viewed on the Internet if you leave the image in AdobeRGB colorspace.

I liked the Wedded Rocks image so much that I couldn't help enhancing it just a little bit.

I'll email you a copy of it.

--Warren

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 3:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

I love your Meotoiwa shot! There is something casually romantic about it... the waves crashing in, the golden ropes, the low flat clouds...

Very beautiful.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 at 6:31:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Eric said...

Thx Lea. I appreciate that. I like that shot, too, and the trip was a real winner. We were able to get to places where a lot of foreign tourists cannot due to the local travel group we met up with there.

Eric

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 at 8:11:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment