Sunday, June 18, 2006

playing with negative space


I went to downtown SF this past Saturday to take some shots. It was beautiful and I figured that the big public places would be target rich. Anyway, while on the subway, I got to thinking about the discussions in the past on using negative space. So, I tried playing around with it. I got a shot of this statue in Union Square (the shopping district). The sky was a nice shade of blue that day and I thought the statue stood out nicely against it.

Eric

2 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Cool shot, Eric!

I noticed some digital artifacts in the blue sky when viewing the full-sized image. I wonder what happened.

This is, of course, open to different interpretations, but there seems to be a feeling of tension and uncertainty in the image because the statue seems to be gazing right into the right edge of the frame. I wonder if the feeling would change if the subject was moved to the lower left instead, then the statue would be gazing into the open blue sky.

Just food for thought...

--WT

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 9:11:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Eric said...

Thx. I know what you mean about the digital artifacts. I don't know what happened. I noticed it last nite. This is a good reason to still keep film handy.

You're right about feeling. I wasn't able to put it into words, but I was wondering what it would've looked like if the statue was in the lower left, too. I think you're right. The feeling would've been different.

Eric

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 10:51:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment