Thursday, February 23, 2006

Feb Project -- The Proposal

Our son Ben and I visited New York City this past Saturday, and as usual, we went into Central Park by the boat lake.

As we stopped for a minute at a rustic little pavilllion, I glanced up at Bow Bridge and saw something that looked... unusual. Three people walked to the middle of the bridge, placed themselves in a line along one side, and lifted violins to their shoulders. "Hey, something's about to happen!" I called to Ben.

And something indeed did happen - one of those amazing New York moments. A young man and woman walked, arm-in-arm, onto the bridge, and the musicians started playing the theme from Love Story. We ran to the west end of the bridge and watched the man go down on one knee and propose. Wow. I got a little fahrklempt, I can tell you. I think I left a tear or two on the eyepiece of my camera as I took this photo.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

What a photo op! Good shot, and you had some good luck with such a thing happening just as you were there.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 at 12:41:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi Steve, thanks for the Feb. Project picture. I was beginning to think that nobody else is going to play. Actually, I found that this month's theme is quite the challenge, since I have not had an opportunity to be out and about as much as I would have liked.

This was a great photo opportunity, and great catch!!!

It's give credence to the idea of always having a camera with you at all times, because you never know what is going happen.

The bridge railing gives a wonderful lead-in to the couple.

The clump of people in the upper left formed kind of a non-descript grouping though.

Just curious, how many shots did you take of this scene? If I was there, I would have been very excited, and all over it (if I happened to be carrying a camera, that is... :) ) Of course, I would try to be discrete, but man, what an opportunity :).

--Warren

Thursday, February 23, 2006 at 3:38:00 PM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Hi Warren,

I'll try to remember to post some of the other shots I took. I'm not really happy with this one for just the reason you mentioned - that clump of people at upper left is annoying.

I was trying to get the 3 violinist lined up, but the one in the white parka moved over a bit, hiding the middle one.

Also, that darn guy in the cap and brown coat walking away from the scene... everyone seemed to recognize that this was a special moment, and stayed at one end or the other of the bridge - everyone except this guy who just walked right through the middle of the whole beautiful episode with his dog - I thought it was very rude - it wouldn't have killed him to hold back for a few minutes. And most of all, it messed up my shot!! ;-)

Although I had a 70-300 zoom in my bag, I was afraid to change lenses and lose the moment. A longer lens might have been good to isolate the proposer and proposee.

-- SteveR

Thursday, February 23, 2006 at 3:51:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given the time and space constrains,this is a really nice catch,Steve. I think Lady Luck was on your side too as evidenced by the unobstructed foreground.
PAT

Friday, February 24, 2006 at 5:54:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment