Saturday, October 29, 2005

Old Mission San Juan Capistrano

"Mission Bells"



"Cloister"



"Old Door"



I've been looking through some old pictures, and I reworked a few this morning from our San Diego trip. These were taken with the old Sony DSC-D770 digital. It was "only" 1.5mp, but with great optics and features. Its biggest drawback, IMO, was the poorly executed focusing system which was inaccurrate and unreliable. It drove me crazy, but when it was on target, the camera was able to deliver very decent images.

--Warren

4 Comments:

Blogger martin said...

Nice series of photos. Good range of tones similar to medium format. I've been shooting with Tri-X lately and get much more contrast. Pretty sharp too. I might be getting another scanner soon. My scans are not as sharp as they should be.

Monday, October 31, 2005 at 10:04:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Thanks for the comment, Martin. I bought a scsi-usb adapter so that I can try to get my Nikon Coolscan online with my new Windows XP computer. I haven't had time to try setting it up yet. I like the "look" of Tri-X too, and as far as B&W film, I currently use either Tri-X or Ilford XP2 super, two films with very different characteristics.

--WT

Monday, October 31, 2005 at 11:22:00 AM PST  
Blogger Benson said...

I miss that old Sony camera. I really like these photos. The B&W works really well too because knowing the southwestern architecture, it would be very tan, beige, and red anyway. This way the subject stands out more than the color would.

Monday, October 31, 2005 at 11:49:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

I appreciate the comment, Benson. I have not gotten around to selling that camera! So if you ever want to shoot it again for old time's sake, free free :).

I also felt that B&W might be more appropriate to show the age of the mission.

--WT

Monday, October 31, 2005 at 11:59:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment